The Australian Government is looking for new ways to support First Nations people who have been incarcerated to connect with employment services and assist them to move into work.
- Date opened
- Date closed
While the consultation period closed on 16 August 2023, we remain open to receiving any late submissions via email to TWESconsultation@dewr.gov.au.
Thank you to the many people and organisations who have sent in submissions to share their views and ideas on improving transitions to employment after prison.
We want to hear from current and past Time to Work Employment Service (TWES) participants, other First Nations people who have been incarcerated and people who have helped those in prison or after their release. Anyone can contribute, including individuals, governments at all levels, social enterprises, community organisations, advocacy groups, employers and unions.
A Consultation Guide and Discussion Paper are available to assist you in providing your feedback.
The Consultation Guide summarises the key issues.
The Discussion Paper includes:
- Information on the key trends on First Nations peoples’ imprisonment, including highlighting the growing rates of incarceration of First Nations women.
- An overview of current Government-funded employment support services.
- Discussion topics exploring some of the key issues.
Some discussion questions are provided below to prompt you, but you can respond to the paper in any way you choose:
- How should the Priority Reforms from the National Agreement on Closing the Gap be embedded in a Commonwealth-funded prison employment service?
- How can we design and deliver a culturally competent service?
- What sorts of supports does the service need to provide to participants while they are in prison?
- How can the service help First Nations people who have been incarcerated after release (including connection to mainstream services, family supports or paid work)?
- How can the service help employers to hire First Nations people who have been incarcerated?
Share your thoughts using the web form below, or by:
- Email to: TWESconsultation@dewr.gov.au
- Post to:
Department of Employment and Workplace Relations
GPO Box 9828
Consultation is open until 16 August 2023.