We participate in the Australian Government Career Pathways (AGCP) Digital Stream. This program is a separate and standalone program to the department’s mainstream graduate program. Graduates in this stream undertake a structured program administered by the Australian Public Service Commission. Graduates undertake either a Graduate Certificate in Networking and Cyber Security or Graduate Certificate in Government Informatics.
Graduates in this program have the opportunity to excel in a digital or technical career after you’ve graduated from university. As a recent graduate, you’ll have an opportunity to further develop your skills while working.
On this page:
Who we are looking for
Do you want to:
- improve the recently disrupted lives of millions trying to learn and earn?
- have a direct impact on ambitious multi-million dollar government programs?
- play a valued part in a once-in-a-generation change in the way the Australian Public Service does business with technology?
- enjoy solving the most challenging problems in stimulating and flexible environments?
- work in multi-disciplinary teams with skilled APS staff and industry experts?
- build resilient modern services with cloud technologies that can better respond to the changing needs of the Australian community?
Our ICT teams deliver digital solutions to help achieve the Government’s vision of providing a personalised experience that is stable, secure, reliable, and ultimately anticipates the needs of every user most impacted by our work.
The department is continually exploring and investing in innovative cloud technologies and is recognised as being at the forefront of technology deployment in the Australian Public Service (APS). We are constantly improving our desktop applications and facilities to provide a better experience for our ICT staff. We also recognise this goes beyond using cutting-edge tools to include support for methods and mindsets as we face an increasingly unpredictable future. To meet this challenge, our current focus is on embedding and resourcing DevOps and agile methodologies, and human-centred design into our ways of working.
‘The department provides a wide range of Information Technology and Digital services to its staff and external customers including other government agencies, job seekers, employers, students and service providers. We are looking for people who are passionate about IT services and creating great experiences for the people who use them. We are looking for people who are innovative and creative and have an interest in building technology, IT security, IT infrastructure, design thinking, user centred design, data and analytics, program and project management and digital channel engagement. We want people who like to solve problems and who want to be part of a team that develops solutions.’ - Kerryn Kovacevic, Chief Digital Officer
What our digital graduates do
Graduates will be working in a fast-paced environment where opportunities are many and varied.
Opportunities for graduates include development/coding; user experience (UX), service and visual design; testing; sophisticated business and data analysis and tools such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). While our work is mostly based in Canberra, we also have offices in Melbourne and Sydney, and our teams are practiced at working flexibly to get the job done. To support this transformation, the digital landscape for the department is evolving. Graduates will have the opportunity to work across in a range of teams designed to deliver services for the community. These include teams with technical focuses, business design focuses and enabling functions:
- Development/coding (mainly Microsoft product suite
- Data base development and administration (SQL)
- Data warehousing and analytics
- Network and gateway
- ICT security
- ICT forensics
- Unified communications
- Server build and management
- Mobile workspaces
- System Administration and Operations
Business Design opportunities
- Service design
- User experience design
- User interface design
Enabling Service opportunities
- Contract management
- Financial services
- Project reporting design and visualisation
To be eligible for the Digital stream you must submit a completed application through the AGCP process prior to the closing date and time. Eligibility may include the following:
- evidence of Australian citizenship
- have completed (or will complete) at least an Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7 qualification (a Bachelor degree), equivalent, or higher equivalent by 31 December 2023
- have completed your most recent degree no more than 5 years ago on the date you lodge your application
- be able to obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government security clearance once accepted onto the program when required. Further information on security clearances is available from Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA)
- be willing to undergo any police, character, health or other checks required.
Successful applicants will be placed in a merit pool that will be considered by the APS and Commonwealth entities. Please note that agencies and departments and will offer different employment conditions and graduate program features.
Applying for the Australian Government Graduate Program Digital Stream as an ICT Graduate
We are a participating agency in the Australian Government Career Pathways Program Digital Stream which is part of the Australian Government Career Pathways (AGCP).
Applications for the AGCP Digital Graduate Stream are now closed.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.