In November 2017 Skills Ministers agreed to the National VET Data Policy (the Policy) which first took effect from 1 January 2018. The Policy helps data users understand their responsibilities for collecting, submitting, using and accessing VET data.
On this page:
Version 3 of the Policy commences 1 January 2021, including the new updated Privacy Notice at Schedule 1 of the Policy.
The Policy is in four parts:
- Part A Introduction – outlines why VET data is collected
- Part B National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy – specifies obligations on all registered training organisations (RTOs) to collect and submit comprehensive data on their delivery of Nationally Recognised Training. This includes minimum mandatory requirements at:
- Schedule 1 – Minimum mandatory content for inclusion in a Privacy Notice – which RTOs are responsible for providing to their students
- Schedule 2 – Minimum mandatory content for inclusion in a VET Data Use Statement and RTO Declaration and Understanding – which RTOs must acknowledge when they submit data.
- Part C VET Data Access and Disclosure – outlines arrangements for accessing the VET Data held by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) and sets out the requirements for disclosure of unique student identifiers (USIs) by the Student Identifiers Registrar for the purposes of research.
- Part D Administration – deals with administration and includes a Glossary of Terms and links to further information.
- helps users understand their responsibilities for collecting, submitting, using and accessing VET data
- increases the efficiency and transparency of Australia's VET sector by minimising exemptions from data collection and submission
- enables more students to obtain records of all the nationally recognised training they have undertaken since January 2015, regardless of where it occurred, by the inclusion of USIs in data submissions
- makes more comprehensive VET data available for consumers to provide them with the information they need to make decisions about RTOs and courses.
More information on the Policy can be found on the frequently asked questions page. Specific questions may be directed through the Skills Contact Centre on 1800 020 108 or via email to VET-DataPolicy@dewr.gov.au.