We offer a specialist graduate career pathway for talented and motivated law graduates.
On this page:
Graduates will have the opportunity to work on a broad range of legal work in an Australian Government department and gain exposure to Australian Government policies and programs.
Our speciality legal stream graduates will undertake a holistic work program within the legal practice to gain skills and experience. Legal graduates will also have access to a specific legal blended learning program offering a combination of structured training and on the job experience. Support may also be offered towards completion of a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice and admission as a Legal Practitioner if required.
What our legal graduates do
The department’s in-house legal practice offers a wide range of services. Our lawyers provide legal advice across the range of the department’s responsibilities (including in relation to the development of legislation and the conduct of litigation).
Graduates are involved in the full range of work undertaken by our legal teams. Areas include government and administrative law, corporate and commercial law, intellectual property, litigation (including some advocacy work), social security, information law and legislation development.
‘The department dedicates a huge number of resources to helping its graduate lawyers develop their expertise and craft, which is what attracted me to this role. Staff at all levels are encouraged to take up all sorts of opportunities and to constantly keep learning, which is a fantastic environment for a new lawyer – Kate, Legal Graduate (2021)
For me, the breadth of opportunity, the engagement and support from those around me and the culture of the Legal Division set this legal graduate program apart. The program provides legal graduates with a springboard to become competent and capable government lawyers’. – Matthew, Legal Graduate (2021)
Who are we looking for?
We offer career opportunities for highly talented and motivated law graduates. We are looking for graduates who have:
- a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice or a commitment to complete the qualification and gain admission as a Legal Practitioner.
- A successful academic achievement record would also support an application.
Additionally, graduates should:
- have excellent legal and analytical capabilities
- have successful academic achievement
- have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- have personal drive and enthusiasm
- show initiative and flexibility
- possess leadership qualities.
Additionally, all graduates in the Graduate Program will undertake a formal learning and development program.
To be eligible for the Graduate Program, you will be required to:
- be an Australian Citizen or going to be granted Australian citizenship before you commence and be able to provide evidence of this
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or higher within the five years prior to the start date of the Graduate Program. You will be required to provide evidence of completion before the start of the program
- obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government Baseline security clearance
- relocate to Canberra for the commencement of the program if the position requires you to.
- satisfy the relevant medical check (if required for the position).
Applying for the Graduate Program as a Legal Graduate
We are a participating agency in the Australian Government Graduate Program Legal Stream which is part of the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP). Applications for the AGGP Legal Graduate Stream are open.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
The department has consistently featured in the Top 100 Graduate Employer rankings over the past few years. This achievement highlights our active commitment to supporting talented graduates, helping them to expand their skills and experience, and reach their full potential.