The Fair Work Legislation Amendment (Secure Jobs, Better Pay) Act 2022, gives effect to the Australian Government’s commitment to improving the workplace relations system, ensuring it delivers secure jobs and better pay for Australians. The Act is the first tranche of reforms the Government will make to workplace relations laws.
Workplace relations legislative reforms are now in place
The legislation received Royal Assent on 6 December 2022 and includes measures to improve job security, close the gender pay gap, modernise the workplace bargaining system and get wages moving.
The new legislation will:
- modernise the bargaining system to drive wage growth and better support vulnerable workers
- support job security to benefit both workers and employers, and improve gender equality, including by reducing the gender pay gap
- introduce more stringent compliance and enforcement rules, particularly in relation to small claims and job advertisements
- ensure conditions, wages and rights at work are protected, and
- abolish the Registered Organisations Commission and Australian Building and Construction Commission and transfer responsibility to the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.